Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Thy Only Forgotten - Mythos Daemonium (2009)


Full Length, Lux Inframundis Productions
2009



Whenever I gaze at the cosmic horizon, I feel an urge to submerge myself in its fathomless depths and get caressed by its colossal chasms. But this cosmic consciousness is not always easy to be achieved; it needs a special catalyst, a tool which can take you over to an unearthly trance of gloom. 

To my ease, there are some charismatic entities whose epochal symphonies lead me to an astral path of illumination and I got a sheer taste of it recently by a glorious Mexican entity called as - Thy Only Forgotten.
Talking about this horde, they are not a recent congregation in the underground extreme metal scenario and actually formed way back in 1993. But they couldn't proceed further after releasing a demo in 1996. There was a nefarious silence howling in the voids since almost 13 years and that would have certainly pinched them. Enter 2008 and the band is resurrected, maybe by an abrupt vision of re-creating an epic demenaor which most of the bands of today's age lack. 
Last year, they unleashed their first full-length entitled as ''Mythos Daemonium'' on Lux Inframundis Production. The band's status and important information is still pretty discreet since they insist on maintaining obscurity and haven't really published lyrics nor have a Myspace. But as far as I know, their current battalion comprises of the fantastic Antonio Leon (The Chasm fame) and his inputs are distincly audible in their recent offering. 

Mythos Daemonium is all about atmosphere, a very beautiful and peculiar instrument which co-relates to an artist and his creation. He uses his tools to paint the impressions which he perceives in his mind and splashes them out in grand fashion. Some are able to perceive it but some aren't. The same thing applies for extreme  music as its not everyone's cup of tea to perceive disharmonies as dense and atmospheric as Thy Only Forgotten or The Chasm. But then the underground focuses on reaching out to a 'class' rather than a 'mass'. The musicians are nothing less than an artist trying to pour their earnest feelings out via their instruments. 

The vocal passages, guitar tone and the overall charm possessed by this album is pretty much reminicscent of The Chasm - especially their latest offering Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm. But that is pretty obvious because they have the mastermind - Antonio behind them both. The basic thing which struck me on hearing the album for the first time was the slower, melancholic passages. It felt as I am drowning in a stream of psychedelia and getting deeper in it after every listen. This is the sheer power which atmospheric music can portray! The way it hypnotizes you is splendorous. 

Subtle tremelo melodies work like a potion to keep oneself enraptured and swaying with the terrific passages of gloom which makes you feel like eternity. 



If I have to describe the overall grandeur by a mere exclamatory obligation, then I dont think that I would have anything else coming out of my vocal chords apart from - wow!

After dripping myself totally into this release, I would have also loved to get an insight into the lyrical theme but sadly, I couldn't find any. Going from the name and the cover art, I can at least perceive that it has some relation with Aztec mythology, displaying visions of conquest and triumph. If anyone has them, please let me know.

But now, I wouldn't just conclude my article in a tad clichéd manner but would rather share a few honest words. In this short-lived life marred with despondency and traumas, there are only certain things which are capable of giving a feeling of glory and content. Extreme metal is one of those prized entities for sure, and bands like these are sheer exemplaries of what I am talking about. If you share a similar vision and want to have another 40 minutes of veneration, then Mythos Daemonium would be one of those cherishable moments for you.

1 comment:

  1. outstanding !!! great read ankit. seems like a really great heartfelt review..i must check them out.

    regards
    samit

    ReplyDelete